• Page:

TOPIC: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement

TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 6 months ago #134

Task force 13: WebSM improvement

(This could fit into WG3.)

Task force leader: Katja Lozar Manfreda & Nejc Berzelak
Task force members: open to all.

Aim/Central research question:
We would like to take the advantage of the Cost WebDataNet to increase the legitimacy of the WebSM.org portal. In addition, we would like to take the advantage of the WebDataNet experts to increase the usefulness of the portal.

Organisation/planning:
During the Ljubljana 2012 November meeting we would like to organize a 1-2 hours meeting to which we would invite members who want to participate in the further development and improvement of the WebSM.org. We would like to have their participation in the form of expert opinions as regards the following:
  • Technical update
  • Update on the categories of bibliographic units
  • Evaluation of the site in general
  • What else would they suggest to include

Planned outcome:
As said, through discussion at the meeting we would like to get ideas for improvements of the WebSM.org, while the actual work on the portal would be still done with our resources. We do not want to put extra burden on the WebDataNet members, expect for their participation at the discussion at the November meeting and in the future meetings.
Katja Lozar Manfreda
Chair of WG1: Quality issues in Web surveys

Katja Lozar Manfreda, Phd
Assistant professor
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences
Kardeljeva pl. 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Tel: +386 1 5805 313
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it -lj.si
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by FrancisSerrano.

Re: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 6 months ago #176

Comment by Pablo Pedraza on Oct 19, 2012 (received by email):

"-On TF xx WebSM improvement we could include a small part of the TF devoted to the relationship and synergies between WebSM and Webdatanet website. For that purpose we would invite Chris Zimmerman to participate...Is it decided in which WG will be allocated?"
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Assistant professor
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it -lj.si

Re: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 6 months ago #177

I am posting a new version of this TF proposal.

Task force 13: WebSM improvement

This TF relates to general plans and methods applicable to all WGs. It involves a website WebSM.org, an online source on information on web survey methodology. See the history of its development at www.websm.org/c/278/About_/. Several members of the WebDataNet have been involved in the development of this website which is now still maintained by the Center of Social Informatics of the University of Ljubljana. The mission of this website is the following:
  • provide professional information on web survey methodology and impact of new technologies on survey process,
  • serve all key target groups (students, users, professionals) in all sectors (academic, public, business),
  • stimulate the communication and interaction,
  • integrate and increase the research cooperation,
  • enforce more efficient implementation of web surveys.

We believe that this website is important for WebDataNet action (nevertheless, the persons initially proposing this Action met due to this website ) and that some synergy between the WebSM website (primarily aimed at distributing research results) and WebDataNet website (as a homepage of the WebDataNet group, aimed primarily at facilitating the communication between the WebDataNet members) should be found. The proposed TF is aimed at finding this synergy.

Task force leader: Katja Lozar Manfreda & Nejc Berzelak
Task force members: open to all.

Aim/Central research question:
We would like to take the advantage of the Cost WebDataNet to increase the legitimacy of the WebSM.org portal and to find synergies between the WebSM.org and webdatanet.cbs.dk. In addition, we would like to take the advantage of the WebDataNet experts to increase the usefulness of the portal.

Organisation/planning:
During the Ljubljana 2012 November meeting we would like to organize a meeting to which we would invite members who want to participate in the further development and improvement of the WebSM.org. We would like to have their participation in the form of expert opinions as regards the following:
  • Technical update
  • Update on the categories of bibliographic units
  • Evaluation of the site in general
  • What else would they suggest to include
  • On how should WebSM.org and webdatanet.cbs.dk be related

Planned outcome:
Through discussion at the meeting we would like to get ideas for improvements of the WebSM.org and connection with webdatanet.cbs.dk, while the actual work on the portal would be still done with our resources. We do not want to put extra burden on the WebDataNet members, expect for their participation at the discussion at the November meeting and in the future meetings.
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Assistant professor
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Lozar Manfreda.

Re: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 5 months ago #190

Message that way sent by email to WebDataNet members that are coming to the Ljubljana meeting on Nov 12-13, 2012.

Dear colleagues.

I am writing to you who are attending the WebDataNet meeting in Ljubljana. As you have seen from the below email, several FTs have been posted in the website Forum and TF leaders are now trying to involve you in this TFs.

Among the listed TFs there is a TF13 WebSM improvement. See Forum webdatanet.cbs.dk/index.php/forum/4th-mc...ebsm-improvement#177 for the description. I would like to invite you to joint the meeting of this TF as experts on web-based data collection. I would like to involve you in the discussion on the WebSM.org improvements. I do not want to put any special burden on you, I just ask for your involvement in the discussion during the meeting in Ljubljana, in Session D, Nov 13, 11.00-12.45. Of course, if would help if you know the WebSM.org or at least have a look at it before you join this TF.

If you are willing to participate at the meeting of this TF in Ljubljana, please let me know either by email or preferably by posting a message in the Forum at webdatanet.cbs.dk/index.php/forum/4th-mc...bsm-improvement#177. I hope you can answer by Friday, November 2. I will send a more detailed agenda of this TF meeting in a few days to the ones who will show interest.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Best regards,

Katja L. Manfreda
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Assistant professor

Re: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 5 months ago #191

A message sent by Marcin Kozak by email to Katja on Oct 31, 2012

Dear Katja,

Thanks for your letter. It seems from the description of the TF that the discussion will not be strictly related to methodological issues but rather to website improvement (even if in some parts concerned with the website itself). Am I right?

I am new to Webdatanet and am trying to find my place there. At the same time some other interesting TF will be held and I am in trouble to choose.

Best wishes,

Marcin
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Assistant professor

Re: TF13(WG-): WebSM improvement 4 years, 5 months ago #192

Dear Marcin.

Yes, you are right. This TF will not be on methodological issues. It deals with a very specific task that is probably not of direct interest of the WebDataNet members although many of them use this website. At the Ljubljana meeting we would just like to take the opportunity to have users of this website (and the nonusers) all together to ask them what could be done to improve this website. In that sense you are invited to join us since you might have some ideas on that (either you are using the website or not).

Best regards,

Katja
Katja Lozar Manfreda

Assistant professor
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds