Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys

TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys 5 years ago #129

TF1: Challenges and pitfalls of measuring wages via web surveys – some explorations on
weighting

WG1 Research agenda I: Non--probability web surveys vs. probability based web-surveys. Comparison of sources of bias, such as coverage, sampling, non-response etc. and possibl e adjustment techniques

Task force leader: Stephanie Steinmetz
Task force members: open to all, please join.

Aim/Central research question:
This task force deals with the methodological challenges of collecting representative data on wages via web surveys. The collection of wage information via a web survey seems to offer a lot of advantages related to worldwide coverage, cost benefits, fast data collection process, ease of processing results and flexibility of questionnaire design. Moreover, as the often observed social desirability effects towards an interviewer are not existent in case of an online environment, especially for sensitive questions, like income, they might also provide more reliable results. Therefore, online panels could represent a good integration to official statistics data. However, as the sub-population with Internet access is quite specific the driving question for the task force is whether online panels related to wages and working conditions are representative and if not how representativeness can be achieved? The task force will analyze different existing probability and non-probability based web surveys focusing on labor markets are used (WageIndicator, LISS panel, and SSRI panel). Their characteristics are compared with reference data from official statistics measuring the bias. For a selection of core variables adjustment models, such as simple weighting, propensity score adjustment and the Maxent approach, are applied. Properties and theoretical advantages of the applied methods are discussed and evaluated particularly according to the central question of improving the validity and representativeness of survey results.

Organisation/planning:
We already had a discussion during the Mannheim March 2012 meeting (the ‘small-group’ meeting on Weighting, organized by Stephanie) where more WEBDATANET members have shown interest in this topic.
At the Ljubljana November 2012 meeting we would like to organize a 2-3 h meeting with the following issues:
  • Stephanie, Annamaria, Kea and Silvia presenting their paper on findings for the Netherlands;
  • The next step will need some beforehand preparation of people who would like to be involved in the task force
  • Discuss available web surveys on wages and working conditions in other countries, or how we can collect such information (based on the WageIndicator questionnaire) via existing online panels;
  • Discuss and develop a draft proposal on how this project can be extended to other countries/topics.

Planned outcome:
  • In the long run the project should lead to either a book or a special issue.
  • Describing selectivity of probability and non-probability web surveys on wages across countries.
  • Develop, present and discuss potentials of weighting to correct for biases.
Katja Lozar Manfreda
Chair of WG1: Quality issues in Web surveys

Katja Lozar Manfreda, Phd
Assistant professor
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences
Kardeljeva pl. 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Tel: +386 1 5805 313
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it -lj.si
Last Edit: 5 years ago by FrancisSerrano.

Re: TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys 4 years, 11 months ago #179

Dear Stephanie, katja, annamaria, silvia, kea ... and all those involved in this TF:
I am very much interested in this TF and I have experience on several of the issues on which this TF is focusing.
I think this TF could somehow evolved to make the network more attractive to economist. If I remember well the original focus was "measuring wages world wide" which is a very attractive. Find attach a paper from R.B. Freeman that may help us to interact with economists. This is an old classical paper from a Wage Indicator partner.
Additionally, I would like to let you know thta I am currently trying to focus on other sensitive questions like life satisfaction.
If this TF evolve in any of these two directions we could be in a position of making our work very attractive at the next RDW conference at Geneva (Find the call attached) and therefore fulfilling one of the goals stated at the MoU.
I am willing to discuss with you these issues but I may need to attande the Webdatametrics master TF. Anyway please bear in mind the above.
best
Pablo
Attachments:

Re: TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys 4 years, 11 months ago #180

• Stephanie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the interest and the suggestions - it would be nice if you could join the meeting in order to get to know what we are planning to further do.
Best,
Steph
Stephanie Steinmetz

Assistant professor
University of Amsterdam
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 185
1012 DK Amsterdam
Netherlands

Re: TF1(WG1): Measuring wages via web surveys 4 years, 11 months ago #181

Just to remind you ... One of the promised activities of WG1 in the MoU is the following:
"Organizing a 3-day workshop within the framework of the kick-off conferences on
advanced post-survey adjustment and weighting techniques providing insights into
theoretical foundations (mornings: lectures) as well as practical applications (afternoons:
lab exercises). This workshop will be open to all Action members."

Will you please keep this in mind when planning activities of this TF since this is the group that could organize such a workshop?

Katja
Katja Lozar Manfreda
Chair of WG1: Quality issues in Web surveys

Katja Lozar Manfreda, Phd
Assistant professor
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Social Sciences
Kardeljeva pl. 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Tel: +386 1 5805 313
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it -lj.si

Meeting Agenda for TF 1 4 years, 11 months ago #198

• Stephanie
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear WEBDATANET members,

If you are interested in joining the TF1, please have a look at the following TF1 meeting agenda showing what we would like to discuss during the meeting.
TF1 will meet on Monday from 16:00-17:45 hrs. - session B.

At the Ljubljana meeting the following issues will be presented and/or discussed:
• Presentation of findings for the Netherlands (outcome of two STSM, by Annamaria Bianchi and Stephanie Steinmetz);

The next step will need some preparation by members who would like to be involved in the TF:
• discuss available web surveys on wages and working conditions in other countries, or explain whether and how we can collect such information (based on the WageIndicator questionnaire) via existing online panels;
• discuss which other research topics are relevant and whether you have experience with weighting methods etc.;
• discuss the organization of a workshop on advanced post-survey adjustment and weighting techniques providing insights into theoretical foundations as well as practical applications.

Before the meeting, I just would like to ask those who are interested in joining TF1 to do the following:
• in case you are interested in wages: search for available web surveys in your country which are related to wages and to which you have access;
• in case you are interested in developing weights for your own data/research: prepare a short presentation (need not be a PP) of what your data/research is about and which problems you are facing with respect to representativeness etc. ();
• in both cases: think about whether you would be willing to host/organize in cooperation with me a workshop on weighting

Please be aware that the success of the meeting is depending on your willingness to get involved and your preparatory work.

I would be delighted if you joined TF1. Please let me know either by email or (preferably) by posting a message in the forum, by Saturday, November 10.

Many thanks in advance for your interest and I hope to see many of you at the meeting!
Best regards,
Stephanie Steinmetz

File Attachment:

File Name: MEETINGAGENDAforTF1.pdf
File Size: 23 KB
Stephanie Steinmetz

Assistant professor
University of Amsterdam
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 185
1012 DK Amsterdam
Netherlands
Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Stephanie.

Re: Meeting Agenda for TF 1 4 years, 11 months ago #203

• mernstst
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear all,

in our new mixed mode survey (probability sample) in Switzerland, we will also have the question about income (personal and household net income) and a few questions about working conditions. We will field the questionnaire in parallel on WEB, CATI and paper. The field begins in two weeks and will probably end by February 2013. There might be some resources to analyze the questions of this task force with these data. I would be happy to contribute, if possible.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the meeting next week, but will definitely be there in march. There will however be a presentation of the general design of our experience in Ljubljana by Knut in the TF3 (WG1) : "Web surveys in representative samples" meeting.

Please let me know how I best could contribute to your task force.
Dr. Michèle Ernst Stähli
Senior Researcher
FORS (Swiss Centre of Expertise in the Social Sciences)
c/o University of Lausanne, Vidy
CH-1015 Lausanne
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds