Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Preparation for the Training School
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Preparation for the Training School

Preparation for the Training School 4 years, 11 months ago #403

The trainees should have their own laptops with them.

They should have installed the following open source programs:

For most of the exercises we will use R-studio and we will have to work with additional R packages. Make sure you are able to install R packages to your RStudio/R installation. For instance, you will need to install the library (R package) foreign.

To install foreign R package using RStudio: click Tools - Install packages, and in the second field (under the label Packages:) type foreign and click Install.

Some of the datasets will be avaialble at:

Andreadis, Ioannis. Paradata from Political Web Surveys. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2014-09-26. doi.org/10.3886/E17816V1

To test that your R-Studio and R and foreign package are OK please do the following:

1. Create a working directory for the Training School. Prefer a directory directly under the root C: eg C:/WSPDS
2. Go to www.openicpsr.org/repoEntity/show/17955 and download the dataset in your working directory and extract it. To download the file you have to accept the terms of use and type your email address.
3. In RStudio, click Session - Set Working Directory - Choose directory and select the working directory you have created in step 1.
4. In RStudio, type the following commands:
library(foreign)
paradata<-read.spss("hmv201410percent-17956.sav", to.data.frame=TRUE, reencode="UTF-8")

Do not pay attention to warning messages about unrecognized record types
 names(paradata)

You should get a list with 81 names (variables in the file)
[1] "q45"           "q2"            "q46"           "q47"          
 [5] "q5"            "q48"           "q7"            "q49"          
 [9] "q50"           "q51"           "q52"           "q53"          
[13] "q54"           "q14"           "q15"           "q16"          
[17] "q55"           "q18"           "q19"           "q20"          
[21] "q21"           "q56"           "q57"           "q24"          
[25] "q25"           "q58"           "q59"           "q28"          
[29] "q60"           "q61"           "q62"           "q63"          
[33] "q64"           "q8"            "q41"           "q11"          
[37] "q12"           "t0"            "t1"            "t2"           
[41] "t3"            "t4"            "t5"            "t6"           
[45] "t7"            "t8"            "t9"            "t10"          
[49] "t11"           "t12"           "t13"           "t14"          
[53] "t15"           "t16"           "t17"           "t18"          
[57] "t19"           "t20"           "t21"           "t22"          
[61] "t23"           "t24"           "t25"           "t26"          
[65] "t27"           "t28"           "t29"           "t30"          
[69] "t31"           "sex"           "age"           "edu"          
[73] "interest"      "pvote"         "vote"          "conf"         
[77] "scorex"        "scorey"        "device_pm_n"   "device_type_n"
[81] "device_name_n"

To install other R packages using RStudio repeat the steps you have followed for the R package foreign: click Tools - Install packages, and in the second field (under the label "Packages") type the name of the R package and click Install.

Please install the R package: car
Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Ioannis Andreadis.

Re: Preparation for the Training School 4 years, 11 months ago #404

• ulf
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you, Ioannis! I notice the instructions are for someone using a Windows PC ("C:") - could you please add what is different for those using Macs and Linux/Unix? Many thanks!

Re: Preparation for the Training School 4 years, 11 months ago #405

• ulf
  • Senior Boarder
Dear participant in the training school:
as for our part of the training sessions I recommend the following two articles to learn a bit about the background and chances in using paradata:

Stieger, S., & Reips, U.-D. (2010). What are participants doing while filling in an online questionnaire: A paradata collection tool and an empirical study. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(6), 1488–1495. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.05.013 (pre-print version available from iscience.deusto.es/wp-content/uploads/20...rReips_corrproof.pdf

The article is discussed in

Reips, U.-D., & Stieger, S. (2004). Scientific LogAnalyzer: A Web-based tool for analyses of server log files in psychological research. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 36, 304-311. Available from www.uni-konstanz.de/iscience/reips/pubs/...eips_Stieger2004.pdf

Happy readings!

Re: Preparation for the Training School 4 years, 11 months ago #406

Dear Ulf,

I have never worked with a Mac and my experience with Linux/Unix is limited (compared to my experience on Windows PCs)

Hopefully, the main tools (RStudio/R) are available for many platforms/operating systems.

As far as other tasks are concerned (e.g. creating a directory under the root) I suppose that a regular Mac user knows much better than me how to do it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds